Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Time to start for real

It's been a while since I posted anything to this site, but the NFL season is about to begin, and that means that the FFL season is about to begin as well. I've been through a couple of drafts already through yahoo games, although my primary league won't draft until Saturday. I'll post the rosters of my yahoo leagues with an explanation of where I was drafting as well as my thought process for why I selected particular players at that spot.

My first team drafted just over two weeks ago...I had the 4th spot in a 10 team league...here's how I drafted, with each of the actual pick numbers:

004. C. Portis - I wasn't really sure who I wanted with this pick. It was a toss up between Portis and Alexander. I have a nagging feeling that I chose poorly. Portis is running behind a poor line, and he has been injury prone in his past. Of course, he is playing for Joe Gibbs, and we all know that Joe loves to run the ball...here's hoping that Joe plays to type.

017. D. Culpepper - By now, all of the second tier RBs were gone, and most of the top WRs had already been snagged as well. I felt pretty comfortable taking Daunte here, as he will be throwing lots of tds to Moss this year.

024. T. Henry - This was a reach pick, as I still wasn't clear about who would be the starting RB in Buffalo this year, but I knew if I waited until my next pick, I'd be stuck with Emmitt Smith running with Portis...I'll just have to make sure that I handcuff him with McGahee, and see who gets the playing time.

037. S. Smith - I felt really luck to get Steve Smith in the 4th round...the new contact rules will allow him to run right by most of the CBs in the league...I expect big things from him this year.

044. J. Smith - I really like Jacksonville's offense this year. Jimmy Smith is primed for a big year.

057. B. Westbrook - this pick was made before Buckhalters injury, so I'm thinking now that I don't have to worry so much about Travis Henry/Willis McGahee...Westbrook is gonna prove how sturdy he is this year.

064. D. Stallworth - I have officially bought in to all of the hype about Dante Stallworth this year. I think he'll end up a top 20 WR...not bad for the 7th round.

077. C. Pennington - Just in case something happens to Daunte...otherwise, he'll be great trade bait.

084. W. McGahee - Like I said, I had to handcuff Henry with McGahee. I wasn't sure how much longer he'd be around.

097. M. Robinson - I've since dropped Marcus since he seems to be third on the depth charts in Minn. now. In his place, I picked up Tyrone Calico...should be a good trade off if he comes back from his two knee injury.

104. R. Smith - I've read a couple of things that say Rod Smith might be poised for a big year. Nice to have him tucked away in my bench if that does happen. Low risk pick here, with a possibility of high rewards.

117. D. Foster - I picked up DeShaun because I wanted to screw over the owner who picked up Stephen Davis. I'm not expecting Davis to make it all the way through the year.

124. Buffalo - Not too high on Buffalo's D, but they were the best available that was left.

137. D. Driver - Never hurts to have a Green Bay receiver on your squad.

144. J. Feely - Fell off the map last year because of Vick's injury and the subsequent tanking of the Falcons, but this year, he might be a pretty solid pick. Either way, who cares...kickers are easily replaced on waivers.

Okay...there you have it, the first of my teams. Thoughts are welcome. I'll post the next one tomorrow, but for today, I have to get to another draft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home